SMALL INDUSTRIES INFORMATION CENTRE
SIDO HQ, Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
Information today is becoming almost as vital as the air we breathe. With the increase in competition and melting away of international boundaries, the demand of Business Information is reaching new heights.
Despite having plenty of natural resources in the country, the Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (SMEs) of Tanzania are not able to meet the challenges of globalization mainly due to lack of Information and Infrastructure to access and disseminate information. The high cost of Internet accessibility, lack of awareness on Products, Technology, Quality and Competition (Market) coupled with high cost of procurement of authentic information have led to almost a ‘Digital Divide’ between those who have access to Information and those who have not.
Government of India decided to setup and gift to Government of Tanzania Small Industries Information Centre (SIIC) and supply hardware, Softwares along with development of SME web portal complimented with Transfer of Technology and skill to Tanzanian Counterparts. The objective is to create and integrate online information source on relevant areas of Tanzanian SMEs for cost- effective and quick dissemination of the valued information for the interested groups under Africa Fund of Ministry of External Affairs. An agreement was signed on February 7, 2005 between the representatives of both the Government. The National Small Industries Corporation Ltd., a Government of India Enterprise was then nominated as the Implementation Agency of the Project on turnkey basis.
The Concept of the Project is to establish a dedicated Small Industries Information Centre at SIDO Head Quarters to enable the Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (SMEs) of Tanzania access information on Technology, Marketing and Investment already available within and outside Tanzania with the assistance of Indian expertise. The idea is also to develop an Information highway to exchange business information amongst Tanzanian MSMEs and with Indian SMEs, who are undoubtedly recognized all over the world for their competitive edge as far as price and quality of products are concerned.
Keeping in mind the information needs of SMEs of Tanzania, SIDO has initiated its web based “Information Services”. A one-stop, one-window bouquet of aids that would provide information on Entrepreneurship, Business, Technology and Credit, and also exhibit the core competence of Tanzanian SMEs in terms of price and quality. The information shall be made available through the Regional SIDO Offices all over the country and through Internet.
- An Information Centre dedicated exclusively to SMEs, fully equipped with Client Server Technology having structured Networking including Wi-Fi Technology. Latest Legal Softwares are also provided.
- SME Web portals with URL www.sidotz.org and www.sido.go.tz
- Databases of Technology Profiles, Directory of Machine Manufacturers, Service providers and Product producers
- Online access of Training Programmes and post registration
- Online registration in Exhibitions/Events/ and post response
- Online access and dissemination of Trade Leads (Domestic & Global), Tender notices, Business to Business (B2B) Marketing
- Expert Clinic and Live assistance
- Monitoring of Website ( Statistical Information)
- Online SME Catalogue showcase
- Online Newsletter with archives
- Dynamic updating of Website with various security access level
Training of Trainers
In the endeavour to hand over the Information Centre smoothly, the local Trainers from SIDO are getting on-the-job training from Indian Experts. The Training modules include the Tools & Techniques for maintaining the Dynamic websites and databases, accessing techniques for Business related information from various sources. The Trainers, once trained are expected to train further the key officials in the Regions in near future.
The Project which started in the month of February 2007 is expected to be completed by first week of December, 2007.